First impressions count.
Follow our preparation checklist.
There's no doubt that presentation adds value. Try to make your house as warm and inviting as possible by using some of the tips listed below.
The exterior impressions
As we all know, first impressions count. It is important to have the exterior of your property as presentable as possible;
- Paint work in good repair
- Street number and tidy letter box easy to see
- Spouting cleaned and in good repair
- Garage/carport clean and tidy
- Rubbish tidy and cleared away
- Any cracked or broken windows repaired
- Hedges and shrubs trimmed, lawns cut and edged
The front entrance
The front entrance is the second most important part. As you have 'wowed' your potential buyer, incase they need to wait for what ever reason at the front entrance, ensure the following:
- Clean, uncluttered entrance way
- Working door bell
The interior impressions
Once you have your potential buyer inside, the detail is important. Here is a guide to check the little things that people looking to buy, look out for;
General interior impressions
- Repair all chipped paint and cracked plaster
- Check all door, window and cupboard latches open and close easily
- Replace broken lightbulbs. Leave some lights on to create atmosphere
- Heat house if weather is cool
- Ensure halls and stairways are tidy and free of clutter
- Open curtains and vacuum carpets
- If possible, arrange cut flowers in various rooms
- All surfaces, fixtures and taps cleaned and polished
- All taps in good working order with no leaks
- Seals around bath and basin in good repair
- Floors cleaned; rubbish containers emptied
- Cupboards and cabinets tidy inside
- Sinks and taps cleaned and polished
- All appliances cleaned
- Small appliances stored away
- Benches cleaned and polished
- Cupboards and pantry neat and tidy
Open Day Preparations
The Open Day is where all the hard work pays off, along with checking off all of the above, it's the smells of home that are the most appealing; put the coffee pot on or make some bread before your open day, it will make your home feel like their home.
- Lock jewellery and valuables safely away or take them with you
- Position valuables such as art, vases, figurines and mementos securely
- If possible, move pets out of the house
Download our ‘Preparation for Selling’ checklist or view our e-book ‘Pathway to Preparing Your House for Sale’.
If you need assistance looking for an office, or choosing the right agent to help sell your house, please contact us today.